You will submit this application online using AnyArtist.org.
Deadline: 01/31/2020 11:59 PM Central Time
Blue Star Contemporary seeks applications from artists living and working in Bexar County for three-month residencies in Berlin, Germany. We are pleased to continue this program for the eighth year. In partnership with Künstlerhaus Bethanien, BSC awards four artists annually the opportunity to live and conduct their studio practice in one of the world's most significant art centers, Berlin, Germany. This opportunity is only available to Bexar County artists. Applications are juried by a diverse panel which changes every year.
Blue Star Contemporary offers artists exclusive access to the Künstlerhaus Bethanien’s renowned international residency program, where our artists are often the only US representatives. BSC covers costs of all program fees associated with residency: studio and living space, inclusion in the internationally-distributed BE magazine, curatorial visits, workshop access, etc., in addition to stipend for airfare, etc. Each selected artist will participate in a public program following the completion of the residency. More information about the Künstlerhaus Bethanien can be found at www.bethanien.de/en/ . The four residency cycles are July 15 – October 8; October 15- January 8; January 15 – April 8; April 15 – July 8. Applicants must be able to attend during any of these time periods. Artists should not apply if they are not flexible and their schedule does not allow them the possibility of attend during any of these time periods and for the duration of the residency.
• Must currently reside in Bexar County and conduct a significant portion of your artistic practice/outreach in San Antonio. Artist must have established residency for 12 months prior to application period.
• Must have at least five years of relevant work experience and/or specialized arts training, such as a degree or certificate, or intensive period developing their skill and knowledge base.
• Demonstrate a clear investment of time and resources into your artistic practice and/or derive a portion of individual earned income from your artistic practice or areas related to the field.
• Have a professional portfolio that includes publicly displayed and possibly published works.
• Must be able to attend during any of the residency cycle dates.
• Students are not eligible to apply. Artist collaborative teams/collectives not eligible to apply.
Resume: 2 page(s) maximum
Work examples: 20
Artist Statement: 600 word maximum
Letter of Interest: 1200 word maximum
A letter of interest expressing why you believe you should be chosen for the Berlin Residency at Künstlerhaus Bethanien. Why should we send you to Berlin? How do you think the experience will influence your practice? This letter is not a proposal for a specific project, but should clearly articulate how you plan to benefit from the opportunity.
|Artists are NOT allowed to apply in teams.|
Four artists will be selected by a jury to participate in the Blue Star Contemporary Berlin Residency Program, based on their complete application. The runner-up artist will be notified in case they need to be called on as an alternate resident in the event one of the top four residents cannot attend. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. Each invited juror brings a different base of knowledge and experience as BSC strives for a diversity of viewpoints. BSC chooses not to publish the identity of current jurors. Past jurors have included - Mary Heathcott, Jacqueline Saragoza McGilvray, David Rubin, Meredith Dean, Mary Mikel Stump, Chris Davila, Felix Padron, Maritza Vazquez, Anne Wallace, Suzanne Weaver, Rich Aste, Ricky Armendariz, Rene Barilleaux, William Rudolph, Anjali Gupta, Paula Owen, Kathy Armstrong, Anna Stothart, Sue Graze, Angelika Jensen, Julia Barbosa Landois, Chris Erck, Carrie Brown, Monica Del Arenal, Erin Murphy, Risa Puleo, Jennifer Ling Datchuk, and Leslie Moody Castro.
Applications will be reviewed in February 2020 and winners announced in March.
|Jacqueline Saragoza McGilvray
Curator and Exhibitions Manager
116 Blue Star
San Antonio TX 78204 United States